Saturday, August 18, 2012

Applesauce & Oat Pancakes



I woke up this morning with a craving for pancakes. Pancakes! This was weird, considering I hardly ever eat them. But once the word "pancake" entered my mind, it wouldn't get out. And the gears started turning...







I didn't have any type of gluten-free pancake mix or all-purpose flour. I did, however, have gluten-free rolled oats (not all oats are gluten free; check the label to make sure there isn't contamination). Time to be resourceful! I decided to blend up some dry rolled oats to make a flour. 







The flour wasn't as fine or light as store-bought gluten free flour, but it worked for my purposes! The flour taken care of, I now entered experimentation mode. I've heard that cooking is like chemistry lab where you measure and combine to synthesize a product. But I like cooking more. There's a lot risk...what you make probably won't be completely toxic and blow up a room or set something on fire. The worst that can happen is an upset stomach and some wasted ingredients. Much less at stake too.

But don't fear; this experiment had a good outcome! The end result? These applesauce & oat pancakes:





They turned out denser and more hearty than "regular flour" pancakes, but still good! I was pleasantly surprised that they held together; I honestly didn't know what would happen with the oat flour but it worked!



Applesauce & Oat Pancakes
1 1/2 cups ground oatmeal flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp sugar 
2 tsp ground flaxseeds
1 egg
1 1/4 cup almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup applesauce
1 Tbsp oil for frying
add-ins: raisins, bananas, blueberries, chocolate, etc

1. Pulse 1 1/2 cups of raw rolled oats in a blender until you get a flour-like consistency

2. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl: the oat flour, baking soda, sugar, flaxseeds. 

3. Whisk the egg, milk, and vanilla in another bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix thoroughly. Then stir in 1/4 cup of applesauce.

 
my countertop of ingredients


4. Add in any extras you want: I started with just raisins but later decided to add mini chocolate chips and bananas!

5. Heat up some oil on a pan on medium heat. Pour out about 1/4 cup of the batter per pancake; cook on each side until golden-brown then flip!



Serve while still warm. 

I'm a bit odd and have always eaten applesauce with my pancakes ever since I was a kid; you can put maple syrup or jam or butter or whatever your heart desires on top!



a cross-section of one: raisins, bananas, and chocolate chips!



Needless to say, my stomach was happy. A successful experiment!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my! I have not to try this!
    They look yummy and hearty!
    Thanks for the recipe.
    I'll let you know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried them this morning. My family gobbled them up. They are very filling. I noticed that the longer the batter sat, the thicker it became. I will definitely make them again!

      Delete
  2. May I share with some of my friends on FB who are trying to eat healthy?

    ReplyDelete