Thursday, July 12, 2012

Black Bean Quinoa Patties


I've never had a veggie burger. Ever. In my entire life. (Most have tofu, which I'm allergic to!)
So, understandably, when I saw this recipe I was a little skeptical...yet intrigued! It just looked so good and I had to try it.

They turned out pretty good! The patties are definitely flavorful and filling. They were a bit dry, but I discovered that they taste absolutely amazing when topped with hummus! I had these patties with eggplant hummus from TJ's for dinner that night, then for lunch and dinner the next day as well :)

note: I don't have a food processor so I modified the recipe a bit.


Black Bean Quinoa Patties
adopted from here
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
-1/2 cup finely chopped carrots (I used the shredded carrots from Trader Joe's)
-1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
-1/4 cup blended raw oats
-1 large egg
-1/4 cup chopped onion
-1/2 tablespoon garlic powder (or more if you really like it!)

-1 tablespoon ground cumin
-1 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon pepper
-2 tablespoons olive oil

In a small pot, boil 3/4 cup water. Add the quinoa, cover, reduce to low heat. Cook until all the water is absorbed (around 12 minutes) and set aside.

Using a blender, grind up the oats to make a coarse powder. 

In a large bowl, combine the oat powder, quinoa, beans, and eggs. Mix well, crushing the beans if possible (not necessary). Add the garlic powder, chopped onion, cumin, salt, and peper. Mix until you get a chunky paste; if it's too dry add another egg.
(it looks kind of gross, I know! But keep going, it gets better!)

Using your hands (this is the fun part!) form the mixture into four patties. They should hold together pretty well on their own; I was able to lift them up and flip them without them falling apart.


In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium. Let the first side cook until brown, then flip until the other side is brown as well.





And...you're done! Spread hummus on top for extra moisture and taste. 
I ate the patties over a bed of mixed greens, but if you have a bun, you can serve it with that + cheese + toppings. Salsa would be delicious as well.

Enjoy! I'll definitely be making more veggie burgers in the future :)




No comments:

Post a Comment